Saturday, January 10, 2009

Week in review

Things of note from this last week (which I haven't had the chance to mention already!):

PBS's airing of "Cyrano de Bergerac", (Anthony Burgess translation of Edmond Rostand's play) directed by David Leveaux and starring Kevin Kline and Jennifer Gardner. A play about how apperances can distort true substance. I wanted to see this production when it was at the Richard Rogers Theatre in NYC. Kevin Kline's performance is outstanding, even now re-reading the final scene I'm moved at the recollection of his performance.

Cyranoklineimage source and review

CYRANO (reading):
'Roxane, adieu! I soon must die!
This very night, beloved; and I
Feel my soul heavy with love untold.
I die! No more, as in days of old,
My loving, longing eyes will feast
On your least gesture--ay, the least!
I mind me the way you touch your cheek
With your finger, softly, as you speak!
Ah me! I know that gesture well!
My heart cries out!--I cry "Farewell"!'

ROXANE:
But how you read that letter! One would think. . .

CYRANO (continuing to read):
'My life, my love, my jewel, my sweet,
My heart has been yours in every beat!'

Also, Holland Cotter's excellent article in the NY Times entitled "In the Gloom, Seeing Rembrandt With New Eyes" here.
Once again making the claim that great art can rise out of difficult times. (Rembrandt had lost everything due to the economic crash, a result of Hollands war debts, yet still continued to paint and made some of his greatest works. )


Rembrandt's "Girl with a Pink" early 1660s

And finally this darling illustration I found on Gemma's blog Illustration is Good by artist Natalie WS. I love the shapes and movement created by the direction of the lines and of course the little kitties!

image source

Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happened upon your blog via another blog, love your cats!

Suzanne in CT

Heather said...

I really love the variety of things you post on your blog. It's really interesting to look at and read.

Christine--RHP said...

Oh, Cyrano is one of my all time FAVES!!!

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!