Thursday, February 5, 2009

An Ode to the Great Peeler Dealer

Joe Ades
Joe Ades demonstrating the use of his $5 vegetable peeler outside the Union Square Greenmarket. Mr. Ades, known for his memorable sales pitches in his English accent, died on Sunday at 75.

If you've ever been to Union Square in NYC on a bright sunny day you may have run into Joe Ades selling his vegetable peeler on the south east corner of Broadway and 17th St , he was hard to miss with his authoritative fast-talking English sales pitch and captivating voice - straight out of a Dickens novel! I can recall his voice even now, he will be missed!

Read the article in the ny times here.

Also...
I hope you had a great nutella day- I sure had my share! My favorite way to eat it is to get it nice and cold in the fridge, this gives it a great fudge like texture!

Guap guap!

8 comments:

Stela said...

awww I never got to witness the awesome peeler dealer :(

the kitty eating nutella rocks

Stacey said...

nutella day, I didn't know about it, I do love nutella though :)

Anonymous said...

oh man, i've passed him a million times, i had no idea :(

Cindy said...

we've seen him many times and there was always such an unusually large crowd around him. rip joe.

Joyce said...

I never to the chance to see the peeler dealer. It is amazing though how many lifes he probably touched without realizing it selling his peeler.

Paul Pincus said...

joe was such a character. roddy and i will miss him.

Anonymous said...

Oh no---I used to walk past him every day on my way to work and I always wondered what his story was. Thanks for the link to the NYT article...

Bonbon Oiseau said...

aww...i just saw him a few weeks ago...he was chewing put some cops actually. so sad...did you see his obit in the times? very moving..aw.