Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Musings

image by Cy Twombly

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. 
George Bernard Shaw

A recent chat with my students of Exploring the 5 Senses has encouraged me to consider an idea I've been musing on for the last year- the chance to teach online art courses that will then meet up in person or culminate in some sort of arts related trip. Tom and I have both traveled the world studying art, from Australia to Italy, to The Hermitage in St. Petersburg Russia, Paris and NYC, and the experience of looking at art, studying and speaking about art in person, has been incredible and absolutely essential to our understanding and practice as artists. Immersing yourself in a new culture or experience can provide valuable insight into what it is you do and why. When I think back and reflect on my decision to pursue art and what may be considered 'life altering events' it would be the trips I took. My first trip to NYC and visiting The Met, seeing Cy Twombly's paintings for the first time at the Philadelphia Art Museum, speaking and listening to other artists, being inspired and moved by what I saw and heard. More often than not I find myself considering the 'real' art the conversation you have about a work of art rather than the object itself. The interaction you have with one another that art inspires and the ideas it creates. 

Right now I'm considering something simple, a 4-6 wk. online art course culminating in a 2 day meet up in NYC with a planned itinerary including a group dinner, cultural event such as the ballet or musical performance, walking tours of contemporary art galleries and at least 1 major museum/exhibition visit. 
Tom and I know and love NYC so much it would be fantastic to be able to share our exuberance for art and the city with you.
This is something I'm still musing on and would love to hear your thoughts, expenses would be higher and cost of travel, events etc. would be up to you. Right now I'm considering offering something in the Spring. Would love to know if this is something anyone would be interested in! Or if I'm just being incredibly ambitious?!
:D
Jamie

3 comments:

Tabitha said...

I would definitely be interested, as long as I had enough time to save up sufficient funds!! :)

Cindy said...

it sounds really good!

Bethany said...

I think it would be incredible to see art in NYC with you! But I also liked the idea to go to Montreal!!!